If you are among the ones who have already flashed the new Android 5.1.1 XXU1BOI2 Lollipop update on your Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini, you might now be looking for a reliable root method. Well worry not, for you have come to the right place. A new rooting method has been made available for your device.
First and foremost, flashing SuperSU is not sufficient. In this case you will also need to flash a custom kernel on your Galaxy S5 Mini for preparing the XXU1BOI2 Lollipop system for root process. This custom kernel will be applied using Odin and after it, you will be able to flash the SuperSU package via a custom recovery image, also using Odin. In short, if you choose to use this tutorial you will learn how to install a new custom kernel on your Galaxy S5 Mini powered by Lollipop and also how to flash SuperSU through a dedicated custom recovery environment.
Things to Remember before rooting Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini:
- This Rooting Tutorial is ONLY for Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini. Please DO NOT try this on any other device.
- If you are a newbie and have never done any sort of advance android experiments, then you should know that enabling root access isn’t an official procedure. In a nutshell, you will lose any official warranty from Samsung and any mishap caused will be on your head.
- Along with enabling the root process you will also unlock the new Android 5.1.1 Lollipop XXU1BOI2 firmware that powers your Galaxy S5 Mini. This gives you an opportunity to personalize, customize and optimize your Android device. This is why the users opt for rooting option to enhance the performance of their smartphone. Once you go through the step by step procedure you will be able to enhance the speed, improve battery life and the overall performance with ease.
- You will be able to start up programs and remove bloatware, try new custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, AOKP or Paranoid Android, add custom apps and features, make Nandroid backups and bump up the speed. Check out the Reasons and Benefits of Rooting Android Device
- This is a complex task so you will also need to use a computer. It is preferable to use Windows based PC and advisable to turn off any security software that you have on it, as it may detect the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini USB drivers as potential malware.
- You will need to connect your device with a data cable to your PC and enable the USB debugging option. To do so, go to “menu – settings – developer options”.
- Your phone must be at least 70% charge to prevent turning off in the middle and increasing the chances of bricking it.
- Lastly backup all your important things in the device as you will lose it all during the root process.
How to Root Galaxy S5 Mini running Android 5.1.1 XXU1BO12 Lollipop Firmware
Step 2: Flash the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini USB drivers.
Step 3: Run Odin on your computer and then reboot your Android device into download mode – power off your phone and then press and hold power, volume down and home buttons at the same time.
Step 4: Connect your device to the computer using the data cable.
Step 5: On Odin the “added” message must be displayed; the ID:COM field should also be yellow or blue – if not reinstall USB drivers and repeat the steps from above.
Step 6: From the program click on the PA option and upload the custom kernel file. Don’t check the Re Partition and Auto reboot options.
Step 7: Click on “start” and wait while the kernel is being flashed. When the “pass” message will be displayed and when the ID:COM field will be green, unplug the USB cord and reboot your device.
Flash SuperSU and gain root access
Step 1: Download the file on your computer from here and don’t unzip it.
Step 2: Transfer the file to your S5 mini by connecting it to the PC.
Step 3: Unplug the data cable and power off your phone.
Step 4: Enter recovery mode on your device and from recovery select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
Step 5: Load the root exploit and resume the installation process. When done, from main menu of recovery select “reboot system now”.
Step 6: In case a boot loop appears, return to recovery and from there select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
And that is all! Your Galaxy S5 Mini is now rooted on Android 5.1.1 XXU1BO12 Lollipop OS.