This tutorial will guide you on How to Unlock Bootloader of your Google Nexus 4. Those users who want to customize their Nexus 4 with different tweaks and tools and want to Flash Custom ROMs on their device, first have to unlock the Bootloader of their Nexus 4. Read all the steps I have listed below carefully and you’ll be able to easily unlock the bootloader of your Nexus 4!
Before we proceed, there are some things that you should consider. I have listed them below. Make sure you check each and everything before moving on towards the Unlocking process. Note that this process will wipe your data and files stored in Internal SD Storage too, so make sure you make a backup of everything that you have in your device.
Things to Check before Unlocking Bootloader of Google Nexus 4:
- This Tutorial is ONLY for Google Nexus 4. Please DO NOT use the files in this tutorial on any other android device or you’ll brick it!
- Make sure you have Android SDK installed and setup in your Computer. You can Download it from here. It helps your computer to easily recognize your Google Nexus 4 and install the required drivers for it.
- Backup ALL your data that you have in your Nexus 4 as this process of Unlocking Bootloader will wipe your data COMPLETELY!
- Enable the USB Debugging option in Developer Options Settings if you haven’t already. If you don’t see the Developer Options in the Settings Menu, go to Settings > About Phone and press the Build Number 7 times until it says that you are now a Developer. After doing so, go back to the Settings > Developer Options and Check the USB Debugging option.
- Make sure you thoroughly read all the steps in this Tutorial before actually Unlocking your device’s Bootloader. If you skip a single thing, you may brick your device.
- It is recommended that you charge your phone’s battery to at least 60% to make sure your device doesn’t switch off.
Alright, let’s get to the Unlocking!
How to Unlock Google Nexus 4 Bootloader:
Note: Make sure you have Installed Android SDK on your Computer:
Step 1: First, download the files required for Unlocking the Bootloader of Nexus 4 from HERE. And extract the contents of this zip file then move them in a folder called Fastboot. Save that folder on your Desktop.
Step 2: After that, switch off your Nexus 4 and boot it into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding “Volume Down” + “Power” Buttons together. Once you see the text “Start” on the screen, release the buttons. Then connect your Nexus 4 to the Computer via USB Cable.
Step 3: Open up command prompt and point it to the Fastboot folder directory that you created earlier. Then enter the following commands one after the other to Unlock the Bootloader of your Nexus 4:
fastboot oem unlock
The first command should detect the Device ID for your Nexus 4. If it doesn’t, then you need to re-install the drivers.
The Second command will unlock the bootloader of your device. You should confirm that you want to do it.
Step 4: Now your Nexus 4 will reboot automatically and viola, Bootloader is Unlocked.
Now you can customize your Nexus 4 with different Tweaks and Kernels or Flash a Custom ROM of your choice. If you run into any kind of problem, just drop your comment below and I will get back to you with a solution as soon as possible!