Now you can Update Google Nexus 5X to Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q using the tutorial below. In February 2016 Android released 6.0.1 MMB29Q for Google Nexus 5X. Since Google is releasing the updates in various stages so not necessarily that all Nexus 5X users are getting the same update at same time. However, for enthusiastic users who want to update their devices can manually get the updates by following the guide below.
This is an official firmware update by Google, which means that you don’t need to Root your device or install Custom Recovery on it in order to flash this firmware. However, if you have rooted your phone, you will lose the root access after installing this firmware. I have put together this step by step guide on How To Update Google Nexus 5X to Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q. Make sure you follow each and every step correctly. I’d recommend that you read the whole tutorial once before performing the update on your Nexus 5X.
Google Nexus 5X Drivers:
You’ll be connecting your device to the Computer, so it is recommended that you have installed the latest USB drivers for Google Nexus 5X properly. For those who do not have done it already, download the USB Drivers from the link below and then proceed with the tutorial.
Make a Backup of Google Nexus 5X:
It is recommended that you make a full backup of your device before proceeding with this guide on How To Update Google Nexus 5X to Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q. Anything can go wrong during the process, so you can later on restore your device to current state. Just follow the tutorials listed below in order to fully backup your device:
- Backup your Android Apps -> How to Backup Android Apps
- Backup your SMS Messages -> How to Backup SMS Messages
- Backup WhatsApp Messages -> How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- Backup Contacts and other Google Data -> Go to Settings > Accounts, then sync with Google
- Backup Photos and Music etc. -> Connect your device to your Computer with a USB Cable and copy all the content from your device.
- This guide is only for Google Nexus 5X, DO NOT try this on any other device or else you’ll end up bricking it!
- This is not a guide for Flashing Custom ROM, so you don’t need your device to be rooted. However, if your device is rooted, you’ll lose the Root access after flashing this Official Firmware.
- Your device must be at least 70% charge to prevent turning off in the middle and increasing the chances of bricking it.
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled. -> Go to Settings > Developer Options > Turn On USB Debugging. If the Developer Options do not show up in your settings, go to About, scroll down and tap on Build Number seven times and a Message will pop up saying that You are a Developer now! Go back to Settings and you’ll have the Developer Options now.
- Make sure your device’s bootloader is unlocked.
How To Update Google Nexus 5X to Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q using ADB Sideload
Note: You can install the MMB29Q firmware over any other firmware that’s older than MMB29P version.
Step 1: Download the MMB29Q Marshmallow 6.0.1 firmware zip from here to Update Google Nexus 5X and rename the file to update.zip
Step 2: Copy the update.zip file to platform-tools folder.
Step 3: Power off the device and then boot it in Recovery Mode.
Step 4: Select apply update from adb then connect the phone to PC using an usb cable.
Step 5: Go to the platform-tools folder where you’ve placed the firmware updating file.
Step 6: Launch a command prompt in this folder, it can be done by holding SHIFT, then right-clicking on the empty space to select open command window here from the context menu.
Step 7: Enter the following command to initiate the updating process.
adb sideload update.zip
Step 8: Confirm the update.
Step 9: When the update is complete you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Your Nexus 5X will now be running Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q official firmware. If you run into any problem, leave a comment below and we’ll get back to you with a solution ASAP!