Nexus 5 GSM can now be updated to Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q. However, android Marshmallow 6.0.1 update is really nothing considerable as an update but it’s better that you install the updated perhaps the better version of it. Moreover, this update is released in patches so not necessarily all Nexus 5 can get the update at same time.
So if you want to flash the update on your Nexus 5 smartphone you can do it by following the tutorial below. In this tutorial, we will see How to Install Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q on Google Nexus 5. But, before you proceed towards the tutorial, do check the following guidelines so that you don’t get in any kind of trouble during the process.
Google Nexus 5 Drivers:
You’ll be connecting your device to the Computer, so it is recommended that you have installed the latest USB drivers for Google Nexus 5 properly. For those who do not have done it already, download the USB Drivers from the link below and then proceed with the tutorial.
Make a Backup of Google Nexus 5:
It is recommended that you make a full backup of your device before proceeding with this guide on How to Install Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q on Google Nexus 5. Anything can go wrong during the process, so you can later on restore your device to current state. Just follow the tutorials listed below in order to fully backup your device:
- Backup your Android Apps -> How to Backup Android Apps
- Backup your SMS Messages -> How to Backup SMS Messages
- Backup WhatsApp Messages -> How to Backup WhatsApp Messages
- Backup Contacts and other Google Data -> Go to Settings > Accounts, then sync with Google
- Backup Photos and Music etc. -> Connect your device to your Computer with a USB Cable and copy all the content from your device.
- This guide is only for Google Nexus 5, DO NOT try this on any other device or else you’ll end up bricking it!
- This is not a guide for Flashing Custom ROM, so you don’t need your device to be rooted. However, if your device is rooted, you’ll lose the Root access after flashing this Official Firmware.
- Your device must be at least 70% charge to prevent turning off in the middle and increasing the chances of bricking it.
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled. -> Go to Settings > Developer Options > Turn On USB Debugging. If the Developer Options do not show up in your settings, go to About, scroll down and tap on Build Number seven times and a Message will pop up saying that You are a Developer now! Go back to Settings and you’ll have the Developer Options now.
- Make sure your device’s bootloader is unlocked.
How to Install Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q on Google Nexus 5 Marshmallow OTA Update
Step 1: Download the Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q firmware zip from here.
Step 2: After the download of this firmware file is done you can rename it to update.zip but do not extract the zip contents.
Step 3: Next, move the update.zip file to platform-tools folder.
Step 4: Power off your device and Boot it in Recovery Mode.
Step 5: Select apply update from adb option from the Recovery Mode menu.
Step 6: Connect the Nexus 5 to computer using usb cable.
Step 7: Go to the platform-tools folder and launch a command prompt there. You can do that by holding SHIFT key, then right-clicking on the folder’s empty space and, select Open command window here from the right-click context menu.
Step 8: In the command prompt window you need to enter the following line:
adb sideload update.zip
Step 9: Confirm the updating process and do not press any buttons until all the new firmware files are done installing on your device.
Step 10: When the update is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
That’s it! Your Nexus 5 will now be running Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q Marshmallow Firmware.